As of September 2015
Library patrons are responsible for knowing and adhering to the library policies. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in a loss of borrowing privileges.
Anyone may visit the library and enjoy the collection at the Alliance. However, a membership
with the Alliance Française de Washington is required to check out books. Library membership is not automatic when you join the Alliance. New members must come by the library and register their card (free service). We are on the ground floor of the AF building at Dupont. Library hours
are different from the office hours
of the Alliance.
- New DVDs: 1 week
- All other items: 3 weeks (books, regular DVDs, CDs, magazines, language learning)
The number of items you can borrow depends on your type of membership.
*The most recent issues of our magazines may not be checked out.
Regular Memberships (Student Pass/YP)
|6 Books : fiction, non-fiction, language-learning
|10 Books : fiction, non-fiction, language-learning
|6 CDs : music, audiobooks, language-learning
|10 CDs : music, audiobooks, language-learning
|4 DVDs : movies, language-learning
|6 DVDs : movies, language-learning
|2 Book + CDs : fiction, language-learning
|4 Books + CDs : fiction, language-learning
|6 Magazines*, incl. Bien-Dire,
incl. Bien-Dire, Champs-Elysées
|5 Kids' Books
|10 Kids' Books
|5 Kids' CDs : music, audiobooks
||10 Kids' CDs : music, audiobooks
|2 Kids' DVDs
||3 Kids' DVDs
|1 Kids' book + CD
|2 Kids' books + CDs
|2 Kids' magazines
|5 Kids' magazines
You may renew by:
: 202-234-7911 ext. 814
: using your ID and password
Overdue items may be renewed, but accounts will be charged an interim fee (see below).
New DVDs and select language learning sets are non-renewable
Items may be renewed up to two times for a total of nine weeks unless:
- The item in question is a new DVD, or language learning material marked "non renewable"
- Another member has requested the item
The last numbers after the zero on your membership card are your online library ID and password. This account allows you to:
- Reserve items that are currently checked out
- Renew your items before their due date
- Search our collection
Refer to the stamped date due slip on each item for the due date. Failure to receive the three-day "warning" e-mail before the due date will not excuse late fees.
Failure to abide by library policies will not excuse the borrower from paying late fees.
Fines do not accrue when the library is closed (Sundays, snow days, certain public holidays).
Borrowing privileges are suspended if you have an outstanding fee of $10 or more.
- Books, CDs, regular DVDs, magazines: 25 cents per item, per day
- New DVDs: $1.00 per item, per day
Loss, damage or failure to return borrowed items
You are responsible for the items you borrow. We ask that you return items in the same condition as when you borrowed them.
If borrowed items are damaged or lost, we will charge the following replacement fees:
- Books, DVDs, picture books, audiobooks: $20 per item
- Magazines (children and adults): $10 per item
Wireless Internet access
The Alliance provides access to the Internet via a wireless network (Wi-Fi) for patrons and guests to use with their personal computers and mobile devices. The Library also provides first come, first serve access to iPads, which are available to check out by members in exchange for a driver's license or other official form of identification.
- Library staff reserves the right to set limits or Internet use session(s) a patron may have per day with Library-owned equipment. Library staff may designate and restrict the use of computer equipment.
- The Alliance is not responsible for any theft, damage, or misuse of patrons' devices and other mobile devices while devices are in use in the library.
- Patrons are expected to comply with local laws regarding access to sites containing adult content that would be considered obscene, pornographic or illegal in nature. Wi-Fi access is unsecured. Anti-virus, security and privacy protection are the responsibility of the patron.
- Failure to comply with this policy, or misuse of the Alliance's networks, materials, software or equipment, including patrons' personal computers and other mobile devices connected to the Wi-Fi network, may result in the loss of computer access privileges, potential loss of library privileges and possible criminal prosecution.
The library welcomes donations of books in French in good condition
Any materials that are not integrated into the collection will be sold
for the benefit of the AFDC library. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with any additional questions.
Thank you for adhering to these policies, which help us ensure that all members have equal access to the collection.